Suwannee, How I Love Ya...

2 Conversations

Suwannee, How I Love Ya...

Suwannee River.Sign for the Suwannee River.

A few weeks ago Florida Sailor and Your Editor got talking about the good old Swanee River. Florida Sailor, being from (ahem) Florida, was chuckling over Pittsburgher Stephen Foster and his choice of rivers. (He picked it off a map after rejecting the Yazoo. No lie.)

FS pointed out that he was the Researcher in Charge of Florida, and that he actually knew people on the far side of the legendary Suwannee River. In fact, he claimed, he never crossed that stream without singing one of the 'Swannee' songs. (We didn't ask for a recording. We have your interests at heart.)

So FS went on a trip, and folks, here it is in all its glory, the Suwannee River. Sing away.

Here's a marker FS sent along, for the Jackson Trail. Some of us h2g2ers were deep in discussion as to who exactly that US President was who was getting booted off the $20 bill, why he was called 'Old Hickory', and how many men he killed in duels and wars. Jackson was a veteran of the Revolutionary War, the Creek War, and the War of 1812, which still hasn't been adequately explained. He was the star of the much-sung-about Battle of New Orleans, though his expertise with firing alligator cannon has been called into question.

Jackson Trail.

Jackson features large in Florida history, having invaded the place without any legal sanction back when the Spanish owned it. His very large army marched down this trail in 1817, which is why it's connected to far-famed Suwannee.

Now you can think about all this Stuff when you hear Al Jolson sing. Aren't we informative?

The Literary Corner Archive

Florida Sailor

09.05.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87871495

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more