Name That Pareidolia

2 Conversations

Go on, say something. Your mouse finger's itching already.

Name That Pareidolia

Pareidolia is a type of apophenia1, which is a more generalized term for seeing patterns in random data. Some common examples are seeing a likeness of Jesus in the clouds or an image of a man on the surface of the moon2.

Live Science
A piece of wood with a face in it. Maybe

Cactuscafé writes:

There's this bizarre woodpattern on a locker in the locker room at the swimming pool. All natural, not a drawing. It's just cheap wood, only on one locker is this strange, unintentional pattern within all the abstract cheap wood design.


Looks like two old prophets. Or ZZ Top. Haha. I've noticed them for months. . . it was briefly deserted in there today so snapped my prophets. Had to show you.

What are their names, I wonder?

The Editor wrote back:

I think the closeup looks like the Shroud of Turin. Only he's singing...

Okay, so the man in the moon looks either like Lord Byron or Hitler. What about this fella? Elijah, the Shroud of Turin, or ZZ Top? (Or Jerry Garcia?) You be the judge: name that pareidolia!

And yes, we've been outed as nutcases. Not for the first time.

Create Archive

Cactuscafe

18.12.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Say what?2FWR's son thought it 'looked like Hitler'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87901121

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more