Chicken a la Hillbilly King

1 Conversation

In case you can't have gluten and don't want to miss out on chicken pie, here's a substitute that doesn't require any rutabagas or marrowfat peas.

Chicken a la Hillbilly King

A plate of chicken over rice.

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium-sized chicken breasts, cubed. How many centimeters or fractions of an inch on a side is up to you. Smallish.
  • 1/4 cup diced onions (I use frozen)
  • 1 stick of butter (that's 4 oz or 113.4g)
  • Spices to taste
  • 2 cans of (gluten-free) cream of chicken soup
  • 1 tsp chicken bouillon
  • 1/2 tsp tomato paste
  • 10-ounce bag (approx. 100g) mixed vegetables

What to Do:

  1. In a deep frying pan, sauté the onions in butter. Add chicken and brown.
  2. Spice chicken with your favourite grill spice, a pinch of fresh basil, and whatever else you like. I use a lemon garlic mixture in addition to the grill spice. The result, for me, is quite spicy. If you're into that 'four-alarm' stuff, go wild.
  3. In a saucepan, dissolve chicken bouillon and tomato paste in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Add to chicken.
  4. Add cream of chicken soup and mixed vegetables. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
  5. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until everything is blended and the vegetables are tender.
  6. Serve over white rice. I recommend sticky rice.

This is not gourmet, but it's tasty, filling, and easy to make. No rutabagas are involved, but you can add tomatoes if you like. (I have allergies.)

Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

DG

25.12.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88041675

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more