The h2g2 Post 25.12.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 25th December 2023

This week's montage features a text written all around the margins: God bless the master of this house, likewise the mistress, too, and all the little children that round the table go. Clockwise from upper left: Rossi the cat lounging on a bed of tinsel, a shiny robot attempting to read a book with the text Graecum est, non legitur (It's Greek and can't be read), a plate of chicken stew, a chicken pie with image of chicken baked into the crust, a seagull on a round buoy that looks like a melon, some oystercatchers at the water's edge, a cormorant reflected in lake water, a brown dog in a small bed, an eagle owl on someone's arm, and a Victorian parlour with a Christmas tree and in the foreground a small girl with her hands up in surprise and beside her a groundhog holding a US flag. (If you read the short story by William Dean Howells you will understand.).

It's here: Christmas. If you don't celebrate, Happy Dim-Sum-at-the-Chinese-Restaurant Day to you. If you do, you're either looking forward to relatives, parties, gift exchanging, overeating, and watching sentimental commercials because this is, after all, a consumer holiday. . . or you're dreading same and hoping it will all be over soon.

Don't worry: it will pass. In the meantime, we've got seasonal photos, videos, and stories for you. There's music, and there are coloured lights. The Christmas crossword is back (thanks, Bluebottle). There are pets enjoying gifts and decorations. Paulh's trailer park is festive.

Wondering what to do with all of that leftover poultry? Wonder no more. Our chefs have assembled an international collage of recipes for chicken and turkey. Some of the chicken recipes are adaptable for turkey. Whether your tastes are high-class or low-class or curry-loving, you'll find something you can whip up to feed the relatives on a snowy day. And if you're too lazy to do more than microwave, Bluebottle's found a solution there, too.

You hate all this holiday stuff? We hear you. There's a whole wildlife section that we guarantee to be utterly devoid of tinsel, which is not good for the wild birdies, anyway. (Rossi the cat enjoys rolling in it, though.)

Awix has an appropriate cinema offering from Japan. Hear Godzilla roar.

No more 'festive' fiction after this, we promise. Instead and BUT! (as the Prof would say), starting 15 January, there will be more wild fantasies from the h2g2 novel writers. From the advance ad copy I'm getting, you're going to be in for a treat with these. They're even weirder than last year's. We'll tell you more about them next week.

Buried in snow, trying to beat the heat (we feel you, Willem!), or battling seagulls on the promenade, please have the most enjoyable of all possible weeks. And send me Stuff! This lunacy doesn't write itself.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week. Just saw a magpie fly by my office window carrying an entire granola bar. I like to think that somewhere nearby there's a person standing there with empty hands, looking up at the sky saying, 'Whaaaa?'

Janet Hill, Twitter
Woolly mammoth and offspring in a snowglobe.


December 2023 Post Challenge:
All Things Holiday


Video Extra:
Soaring Marsh Harrier
Click here in Ripley


WILDLIFE VISITS
Goldcrest at Last!

Goldcrest in bush by SashaQ.

BEST OF THE SEASON

OUTDOOR GLIMPSES & INDOOR COMFORTS

Cheap and Ecofriendly

Candy cane decorations on a trailer porch by Paulh.


A TASTY HOLIDAY




STOP PRESS SKYWATCH
Mother-of-pearl, or nacreous clouds in the skies over SW England, captured by Angel LiaDan.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
HOLIDAY STUFFZ


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88041396

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more