Next to the Custard

0 Conversations

And so it was that while Aisorbma planned and prepared to defend themselves, the Kingdom readied for attack. The death of Tarek prompted an investigation, and many speeches were made denouncing the Aisorbmii; they had surely sent the assassin who had killed such a brave young man.

What none of them dared consider was where that assassin was, who they were, and who they were planning to kill next.

The following is reconstructed from historical records.

Episode Six - Risks to Plans

The castle was buzzing with gossip. Baroness Erica del Erica had missed some of it while she'd been recovering from her torture and rescue, and the loss of her right hand. Once she was mobile again, however, she'd quickly discovered what had happened. Tarek ir Teriss had been assassinated, and the finger of blame lay heavily on Aisorbma. As well it might, given what Erica herself had done to that country.

It seemed they had become quite worked up about the destruction of that factory. Endam had lost his life for that, but it had been worth it. She wouldn't be doing any more of that, however. Without a right hand, she was almost crippled when it came to magic, able to cast only simple or vocal spells. And she'd never been very good at vocal magic.

'Thine inflection ist faulty,' Queen Srindra del Bou told her gently. 'Elongate thine oh sounds, and thou shalt perceive greater success.'

Erica sighed, bowed her head in acquiescence, and chanted the spell again, elongating the significant oh sounds as instructed. There was a tremor in the air before her, and the small pile of kindling on the floor burst into flame with a roar, sending a cloud of smoke rolling across the ceiling. The Queen coughed a few times, but nodded in approval.

'Much improved, my Lady,' she said. 'Truly, thou dost make fast progress.'

'I fear I must work much harder if I am to match mine former prowess in the field, your Majesty,' Erica said, 'but thine help hast been invaluable.'

'Thou, as a trained witch, art of great value to the Kingdom,' the Queen explained. 'After thine victory within Aisorbman borders, it seemeth me prudent to ensure thine skills remain in our service for as long as is possible.'

'Thine wisdom ist exquisite as always, your Majesty.'

'My husband the King doth desire to meet you, my Lady. He hath requested that thou dinest with us this evening.'

Erica smiled and curtsied graciously. 'I would be delighted to accept, your Majesty.' And this was true - although who would dare turn down an invitation to the King's dinner table?

'It doth please me to hear you accept so,' the Queen was saying. 'Truly, the meal promises a true feast, both of the finest foods and the most exquisite conversation.'

'I shall endeavour to ensure that mine conversation doth not disappoint thee, your Majesty,' Erica assured the Queen.

'I am certain that it will not,' the Queen assured her. 'Now, there is yet time for us to consider another spell...'

Some hours later, weary from the endless spellcasting demanded by the Queen but also pleased with her progress, Erica returned to her apartment high in the south tower to change for dinner. She selected an elaborate gown in a rich blue, patterned around the neck and down the sleeves with tiny seed pearls, and called a maid to help her put it on. They'd been working on a spell to help her dress without the aid of her right hand, but so far hadn't had much success.

When the sun dipped below the horizon, Erica left her apartment and headed for the royal suite, halfway up the east tower of the castle. A butler bowed her into the hallway, took the scarf she had worn to protect her shoulders from the cold draughts in the castle corridors, and showed her into the enormous dining room, where steaming plates of fish and chips had been set out on the table. There were four chairs around it.

'Come, sit thineself here,' the Queen said, indicating the vacant chair at her end of the table. 'We can enjoy more pleasant conversation than is possible while practising thine magic.'

'Truly, your Majesties honour me,' Erica said as she sat, addressing both the Queen and the King, who was sitting at the opposite end of the table. He stabbed a chip with his fork, waved it at her in acknoweldgement and then dipped it in some ketchup before popping it in his mouth.

'Enjoy thine food,' the Queen urged. 'My husband the King hath prepared us fresh rice pudding for dessert.'

'I shall anticipate it greatly, for I am sure it will be rice pudding such as hath never passed my taste buds before,' Erica said, picking up a fork with her left hand and attacking the crispy batter surrounding the fish. She had grown quite adept at eating with one hand since her rescue.

'It will most certainly be that,' the Queen said, smiling slightly before returning her attention to her mushy peas.

'Pray tell us, Baroness,' the King said from the end of the table, 'Didst thou observe anything of Aisorbman magecraft whilst thou wert within their borders?'

'Very little, your Majesty,' Erica replied after swallowing the mouthful of fish she'd just started chewing. She paused to wash it down with a sip of wine. 'But what I did observe was most subtle. The Aisorbmii excel in quiet spells which doth influence the world to their advantage, and appear quite proficient in the manipulation of perception. The Aisorbmii wert able to approach Endam and myself all undetected despite our wariness and observation.'

'Then it wouldst appear they have changed very little since last they were met upon a battlefield,' the King said.

'Whilst thou speakest of the late Marquis, perhaps thou canst enlighten us,' the Queen said. 'Why didst thou go with him into Aisorbma?'

Erica swallowed nervously. The expression on the Queen's face was suddenly similar to that which Erica's nurse had assumed before telling her off when she was a girl. 'Many times have I explained this since my rescue, your Majesties,' she said. 'Endam hadst discovered evidence which showed the Aisorbmii wished to spread their foul and uncouth habits of preparing rice pudding to all the world, and he hadst decided that immediate and unexpected action shouldst be taken upon that very moment. Mine skills were required, so I didst accompany him.'

'Didst Endam show thee his evidence?' the Queen asked.

'No, your Majesties, but his conviction wert enough to convince me also.'

The King and Queen exchanged glances. 'It is as we hath suspected then,' the King said, and the Queen nodded. Both of them looked unhappy.

'I do not understand, your Majesties,' Erica said, popping the last piece of fish into her mouth.

'Be not concerned by it, Baroness,' the King said. 'Thou art here to enjoy dinner, not to discuss matters of state.'

He gestured to a servant standing unobtrusively in a corner, and moments later their plates were cleared and replaced by steaming bowls of fresh rice pudding. Erica licked her lips - its aroma and consistency clearly indicated it had been baked slowly in the oven and then drizzled with honey to create her favourite kind of rice pudding. She picked up her spoon and took a large mouthful.

'Doth it meet thine expectations?' the Queen asked curiously. Erica looked up at her.

'Truly, it is the best rice pudding I have ever experienced, your Majesty,' she said, then frowned. 'Unfortunately, it appears I have over-indulged on thine excellent main course. I-'

She choked, then inhaled wheezily. The King and Queen remained motionless, watching her.

'I-'

She fell forwards, rice pudding splashing out of her bowl as her head landed in it. The Queen sighed as Erica's last few breaths rattled in her throat.

'A promising young woman. A shame she doth pose such a risk to our plans.'

'Then... she is dead?' enquired the King.

'Not yet. The poison doth most subtly paralyse the muscles; death doth come slowly and painlessly, but ist entirely unavoidable,' the Queen reported.

'Then send in the Ranger,' commanded the King, of a nearby servant. 'Mayhap we can grant the Baroness the gift of understanding before she passes.'

The doors opened and a bearded Aisorbmian entered the room, his mannerisms respectful but unpracticed. He wore a black cloak, the inside of which was green and textured. He stepped to the table and bowed to both the King and the Queen. When he raised his head he cast a quizzical gaze at Erica, who stared back. Warm rice pudding dripped off her nose, onto the edge of the bowl. Then he returned his attentions to the King.

'Your Majesties, I am Tesorilivesa, a Ranger. I come with a message from the Prime Minister of Aisorbma,' he said. 'He wishes to meet with you to discuss the events of recent weeks, of the deaths that have been caused, and the threat of war. He wishes that these things will not continue.'

'Indeed. It hath come to my attention that his life has already been imperilled,' the King stated.

The Ranger nodded, showing no surprise of the King's knowledge. 'This is true. There have been more attacks since the incident at Anilomes. We have taken some losses. I am told some of your countrymen have also been killed.'

'These occurrances doth cause me great annoyance, but with effort and good fortune it is our wish that this mayest be resolved most quickly and fortuitously for both sides. Sadly, I do not believe there is wisdom in meeting thine Prime Minister here, or immediately. Danger doth lurk in many places, and a misunderstanding in our current peril wouldst condemn us all. But you seemeth tired, noble Ranger. Please, seat thinesself and eat. Thine journey was surely fatiguing.'

The Ranger was ushered into the vacant seat beside the King, and a bowl of rice pudding was placed in front of him. He took a second nervous glance at Erica, whose vision was dimming. Another spatter of rice was running down her cheek. The Ranger looked at the King uncertainly.

'Eat and enjoy!' said the Queen. 'The pudding ist fresh, and hath honey upon it. Observe if you will, how much the noble Baroness hath enjoyed hers.'

'Eat,' said the King. 'For I will be most offended if thou dost not. I crafted the pudding with mine own hands, and value highly the opinions of diverse others in judging the quality of that which comes from my efforts in the kitchen.'

Erica's hearing finally failed her. Finally it was quiet.

So Erica died, poisoned by her own King and Queen in pursuit of peace - but there are no guarantees. Peace is not assured, and even such sacrifices as the King has been forced to make may not prove sufficient to stave off the oncoming conflict.

At least Erica's last meal was the best rice pudding she had ever tasted.


The Next to the Custard Archive


MaW and Ripper


28.11.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A884234

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more